Thursday, April 23, 2009

San Fran Fan!

The first in our "whirlwind weekends" series! Hubby was sent to NASA's Ames Research Center for work the week of April 13-17. Since the company was already footing the bill for his airfare and the hotel through Friday, I decided to buy a ticket and join him for a long weekend the 16-19. We spent Thursday evening and Friday morning in San Jose, California and then took the CalTrain up to San Francisco Friday evening through Sunday. Tied House brewpub in San Jose. A very nice hefeweisen to be had here! Pretty cool little brewpub. Completely different than most you see in Texas or Colorado. Ames Research Center. Hubby took me on-site at Ames to check out the wind tunnels.
Winchester Mystery House. This was definately one of my suggestions, but Hubby seemed to enjoy it as well.
The Winchester Mystery House
21st Amendment Brewpub in San Francisco. Arguable the BEST hefeweisen I've ever had in my life. Hubby and I stopped in here on our trolley-car way to a San Francisco Giants game.
Hubby getting all artsy-fartsy with his beer pics. ;-)
The Bay Bridge
AT&T Park - home of the San Francisco Giants
Baseball fans. :-)
Ghiradelli square early Saturday morning. They had a special: buy a chocolate filled croisant, get a free coffee. YUM! I LOVE San Francisco!

Cable cars are ridiculously cute! I think they signified San Francisco more to me than the Golden Gate bridge! LOVE me some cable cars!
Lombard Street - "the crookedest street in the world"
Lombard Street
While we were walking through Chinatown, we noticed a large group of people in one of the alleyways. They were having a "Art in the Alley" festival complete with a parade. We got some delicious egg rolls from a street vender and watched the "dragons" pass us by.
San Francisco Brewing Company. This brewpub is set up in a turn-of-the-century bar in Little Italy. The bar was a masterpiece of wood carving. Loved the ambiance and the beer wasn't bad either!
Coit Tower - the view from the top was awesome. The ride up in the old fashioned, operator-controlled lift was a little claustrophobic and hectic...especially with the piped in music playing "Free Falling" by Tom Petty. :-)
Alcatraz as seen from Coit Tower
We had planned to visit the Golden Gate Bridge Saturday afternoon, but while we were at Coit Tower, we could see the fog rolling in. And BOY was it rolling! A truly amazing site!
Hubby and I enjoying the best Irish Coffees either of us had ever had at Buena Vista in Ghiradelli Square Saturday night. I was doubtful about the "famous Irish coffee" at a place with a Spanish sounding name, but I can easily see how they got to be famous. I do not like whiskey and these things were GOOD! The highlight of the trip for me? Other than just getting away with Hubby for a quick weekend, I would have to say the SEA LIONS!!!! We made it over to Pier 39 to check out the wild sea lions that congregate there. I could've stood there for hours!
Yup! I'm a nerd!

No comments:

Post a Comment