Monday, March 16, 2009

A Blogging Fool! Somebody Stop Me!

As some of you may remember, I don't like to be bored on the weekends. And rain is BORING! Last time a thundercloud rolled through these parts, I ended up making 7 quarts of homemade chicken stock. Well, it happened again. I woke up on Sunday morning to some seriously overcast skies. No gardening for me! What to do, what to do....

I could work on the blanket I've been crocheting for two years...naw, Tiki is laying on it...

I could watch TV...naw, there's nothing good on...

Maybe refinish the shelf I bought off the Swap Shop (NASA Ebay) for the guest room? Naw, don't want to spend the day in the garage...

Well, we're all out of sandwich bread, I'll make our every-two-week batch...

Hmmm...while I've got the mixer primed up, I could try my hand at French Bread (pics coming of this! SOOOOOO FUNNY!)...

You know, I bet my fellow CoFR Gophers (work-mates) would like some White Chocolate Bailey Bars for St Patty's Day...

Hubby just told me that the South is rubbing off on him and he likes pecan pie...what the heck! I'm already baking!...

You know...we need to eat tonight and I have some chicken in the fridge...I'll make Granny's FANTASTIC Chicken Spaghetti...

YEP! I spent almost 8 hours in the kitchen on Sunday. Have I completely lost my mind??? Maybe, but it certainly was a satisfying day. I made my first ever French Bread (two loaves)...
HAHAHAHA!!! Is that the funniest looking loaf of bread you've ever seen?? Instead of rising UP, it went OUT. Kinda reminds me of a cooked Pillsbury Dough Boy! :-D It tastes just like French Bread, but the consistency and shape reminds me a lot of the bread you make paninis with...which might be what we do with it. :-)

...I also made two loaves of the sandwich bread that we've gotten quite used to eating...

...I made my first ever pecan pie AND my first ever homemade pie dough (RIGHTEOUS pain in the hooey rolling out pie dough. Now I understand why everybody buys premade)...
Came out quite tasty though! Even the crust. :-)This pic was taken with my phone, so it's not the best quality. mmmmm...pie....
...and I made my Granny's Fantastic Chicken Spaghetti, recipe below...you're welcome!

My Granny has always been one of those instinctively good cooks. A pinch of this and a dab of that makes perfect sense to her and I don't think she's ever cooked anything in her life that didn't taste phenomenal. This recipe was given to my Granny by her good friend Sue Finley (and all good recipes are handed out...they very seldom come from books) and my Granny tweaked it to make it her own. When I was a kid begging her to teach me to cook, she always told me that a recipe is just a starting point. You have to make it your own. I am a 33 year old adult now who loves to cook, somewhat because in the back of my mind, I can hear my Granny singing church songs in the kitchen at the only house that was permenant in my life and thus "home" and it makes me feel close to her. I hope you make it and enjoy it. :-)

Marcella Bailey Moore's Chicken Spaghetti:

1 fryer (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
1 small can Rotel tomatoes
1 clove minced garlic
3 small onions, minced
1/2 to 1 bunch celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 bay leaf (Hey Lil Boss! I used one of your Bay leaves! Thanks!)
10 oz pkg spaghetti noodles
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained (I have to leave this out cuz Hubby hates "fungus")
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 lb Velveeta, sliced

Stew fryer with just enough water to cover. Remove chicken from pot, saving broth. Remove meat from chicken, discarding skin, etc. Tear meat into bite size pieces. Simmer Rotel, garlic, vegetables and bay leaf for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Cook spaghetti in broth. Mix veggie mixture and cream of mushroom soup together, add mushrooms, Velveeta and spaghetti. Pour it all in a 13 x 9 inch casserole (or two 9 x 9s) and bake until it bubbles - about one hour. (Granddaughter cook likes to add about 10 dashes of Franks hot sauce and about 1 teaspoon of black pepper as well)

Shredding chicken is therapeutic. :-)
"Can we has some chicky please?"
Just wanted to show you that it's SUPPOSED to look revolting before you bake it!
Mmmm...chicken spaghetti and crazy, deformed French bread!
I made two 9x9s and froze one, put it in a food saver bag and stuck it in the freezer. Never hurts to have a casserole on deck in case you need it!

Enjoy the recipe and send me any old family favorites you might have! TreehuggingDoglover@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment