Monday, January 19, 2009

Sweets for my Sweets

Those that know me know that I love to cook. They also know that I'm a little obsessive about my dogs. Combine the two and you have someone who is perfectly willing to cook up something special for their canine kids occasionally.
This past fall, our garden was blessed with Sweet Potatoes. We had sweet potatoes galore! After giving away at least 2 dozen to friends and family, we have been slowly finishing off the rest of our taters. Yesterday, we came down to the last tater. Their had been two "last taters" that we were planning to cook together, but one of them turned a little mushy, so off to the compost bin with tater #1. Since I'd heard that sweet potatoes are a good, nutritious thing to give dogs, I did a little online digging and found the following recipe.

Sweet Tater Snackies
Slice sweet potato(es) into 1/3 inch slices. Place on microwave safe plate and nuke until flexible; about ten minutes (my second load burned, I'm assuming the plate got hot enough in 10 mins cooking the first batch that it did some carry over heating with the second. If you're making more than one batch, shorten the amount of micro-time on subsequent batches...).

When taters come out of the microwave, arrange them on a cooling rack set in a cookie sheet.
Bake in a cool oven (200 degrees) for 3-4 hours.
mmmmm.....yummy, crunchy snackies!!!

Now you've gotten rid of a sweet potato you might not have needed, and you have some healthy snacks to give your furbies without worrying about packing on the pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment